THE GREAT BRITISH HIGH STREET AWARDS

The Awards

The Great British High Street (GBHS) Awards are an exciting opportunity for councils, businesses, community groups and volunteers to learn from the leading examples of the ways in which high streets are succeeding in overcoming the challenges of a rapidly changing environment.

The GBHS Awards 2018 launched on 20th June 2018. On 17th September 2018, a selection of 38 shortlisted finalists were chosen by our independent judging panel. These shortlisted high streets are eligible to win up to £10,000 for their local community, plus have the opportunity for their local businesses and consumers to extend their participation in a Visa GBHS Spend & Win Competition, which rewards the people that make our high streets so special. Click here for further information.

Judging The Shortlist

Winners will be named in each of the four UK nations – England, Scotland, Wales and, for the first time, Northern Ireland – across two categories: Champion High Street and Rising Star High Street. The Champion Award recognises the nation’s best high streets whilst the Rising Star Award recognises the nation’s most ambitious high streets, which are taking the lead and working together to revive, adapt and diversify.

An overall winner will also be named The UK’s Best High Street.

The 38 shortlisted finalists are being assessed by the Great British High Street Judges, who will be conducting visits to each high street throughout September and October to account for 70% of the overall vote. The other 30% will be determined by you, through social media support. Meet the shortlisted high streets

In addition, the High Street Hero Award has been created to acknowledge those unsung heroes who improve our high streets, in association with the Daily Mirror. Find out more

How To Get Involved

You can get involved in the Awards and help your favourite high street win through social media support. Simply post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, using #MYHIGHSTREET and your high street's unique, assigned hashtag, which can be found here. These posts will be aggregated by location and as a percentage of the estimated population, contributing 30% to the high street's final score.

In addition, Visa GBHS Street Teams, which visited 30 high streets across the UK during the entry phase, are now visiting all 38 shortlisted high streets. The Street Teams will surprise and delight local businesses and consumers with activities and giveaways. Find out more

The Winners

Shortlisted finalists have been invited to an awards ceremony in London in November where the winners will be announced, celebrating the high streets that are succeeding and influencing change.

#MYHIGHSTREET

Instagram